Friday 30 September 2011

Tough and stringy


As my fellow acting friend Will wisely points out, these days actors need to have more than one string to their bows. By which he means other jobs to rely on for sustenance while trying to carve out a career in the world of thespianism. Will uses his not inconsiderable skills as a film maker to fill in the gaps.

Being largely unskilled and generally a bit too lazy to learn anything new I can’t do what these other, talented actors do so I must fall back on my inherent artsy-fartsyness. To this end, I have a few projects on the go. I am writing a novel (it’s going quite well, but I’m not sure what it’s about yet), I am in a couple of bands – one for functions and one as a vehicle for my “poetry” – and I write this blog.

Unfortunately none of these particular strings pays me any money.

Now, I would love to live the romantic ideal of the struggling artist who survives on nothing but his genius, but, alas, I have physical needs. Food for example. And these needs must be paid for.

So, in search of a new back-up career, while I wait for the email from a serious agent, I think I may have stumbled upon my perfect and possibly lucrative bow string. Namely bakery.

Today saw me bake my second awe-inspiring all-in-one Victoria sponge cake of the week (recipe courtesy of Delia), and before the weekend I baked a loaf of (if I do say so myself) delicious wholemeal bread thanks to the McKenzie family recipe.

Now all I need to do is find someone who wants to purchase my wares, and then I can rename the blog diary of a small scale baker. Paid or unpaid, I think perhaps tomorrow I’ll do pizza.

1 comment:

  1. i reckon if had to quit my proper (aka boring) desk job then the two things i'd thought of were diving instructor (would require me being made redundant and given a big fat wadge of cash then going to live in thailand or something) or baker.

    Can't you get a job with a baker as an apprentice to learn(/steal) the trade (secrets)? i think that would be cool. only problem i can see as a fellow lay person - early mornings.

    ReplyDelete